Wednesday, October 15, 2014

IF:Equip Day 23

IF:Equip Genesis 16:1-16



Video Commentary by Jennie Allen & Natalie Grant available here

IF I believe this to be true then:

What does it mean about God?
God does not send Hagar away nor does God abandon Hagar. God offers relationship, sees her suffering and asks her to trust that God has a plan and promise for her and her child as well. This situation, not of God's making, but of Abram and Sarai's plan, yet God will seek to redeem it and cause good to come from it.

What does it mean about me?
I wonder how willing I am to see God even in my wilderness situations. Hagar names God "The God who sees" and if I really believe that then what is it God is seeing in me? I am grateful for God who sees and takes notice and it gives me comfort to know that God is aware of me and my needs even when the world's needs seem so much greater than my own.

What does it mean about the world?
"His eye is on the sparrow" God watches over us all and that is amazing! It's also humbling. How much does God see that I chose not to see? How can the world see things as God does with God's eyes and God's heart? This seeing idea is so important especially in the story of Abram and it is super important in a world that likes to pretend no one sees what we don't want them to see.

(I wrote a Bible study on this topic for Intersecctions: Where Faith and Life meet, a resource for the Cumberland Presbyterian Church)

No comments:

Post a Comment