Tuesday, October 14, 2014

IF:Equip Day 22

IF: Equip Genesis 15:1-21



Video Commentary by Lindsey Nobles and Esther Havens can be viewed here

IF I believe this is true then:

What does it mean about God?
This is God proclaiming the covenant with Abram. I am amazed by this passage because it really shows the covenant of grace as being of God's action. Abram makes the sacrifice, acknowledging God as God, but it is God's presence that walks between the halves, it is God's action that shows God's commitment. God will be and is faithful, this covenant is not one that Abram upholds, but rather the burden is on God to give a barren man so many offspring that they are not able to be counted.

What does it mean about me?
God is and has been and will continue to be active in my life and in the lives of those around me. God has been, is and will be active throughout the history of the world. God doesn't need me in order to fulfill God's promise, but rather invites me to join as a helpmate, a co-worker in establishing the kingdom on earth as it is in heaven. What an amazing opportunity!

What does it mean about the world?
God continues to seek relationship with the world, even with those parts of the world that seem to be openly hostile towards God. I have little doubt of God's frustration with humanity from time to time, but I also do not doubt God's commitment to uphold the covenant of grace established with humanity and sealed in Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment