Monday, October 6, 2014

IF:Equip Day 15

IF:Equip Genesis 9:18-10:32


Video commentary available here

IF I believe this to be true then:

What does it mean about God?
Noah was a righteous man, but even righteous men make mistakes. One of the sons seeks to capitalize on this mistake by dishonoring his father, but the other two care for their father and try to minimize potential damage. Noah curses Ham's descendants. That seems harsh to say the least. And as we read this, without focusing on the rest of the story, it may seem as if God choose the wrong man. But God knows so much more than we do and knows that the test of character winds up lifting Shem and his descendants into a closer relationship with God.

What does it mean about me?
I wonder how much the actions of the past have shaped who I am today. Not just my past actions, but the actions of those who came before. If my grandparents had not had a relationship with God, would my relationship still be the same? Would I have had the opportunity to form such a relationship without their faith and courage forging a path? And how will my choices and life affect those who come after me, my kids, their kids and their kids' kids? I pray that I can live the kind of life that leads to a blessing for them rather than a curse.

What does it mean about the world?
How quickly negative things begin to assert themselves into the life of those who walk with God. It doesn't take long at all for Noah to be found in a compromised state and for a son to discover it. This world tempts us time and again to step away and each step leads farther. It is easy to turn away from principles and turn to temporary rewards and far too often that is the choice the world makes. But God does not give up on us.

No comments:

Post a Comment