Wednesday, October 8, 2014

IF:Equip Day 18

IF: Equip Genesis 12:10-20

IF: Equip Genesis 12:10-20


Video Commentary found here


IF I believe this is true then:

What does it mean about God?
Wow! God knows that humanity will muck things up and yet lets us help out in spite of that. God afflicted Pharaoh's household because of Abram and Sarai's deceit, yet Abram grew wealthy from this exchange. I'm not sure how to handle this. I don't like the idea of Sarai being handed over to become another man's wife just to save Abram's skin. I don't like the thought of Sarai being a pawn in this game.

What does it mean about me?
I get frustrated with the idea of Sarai being used in this manner. I don't like it one little bit. But I know the Bible isn't pretty and that it is in fact full of a lot of ugly things that we are not to replicate. I hope that this passage shows me and others to value those that God has placed into our care and not to try to gain things through their misuse. It hopefully will help me evaluate where I might be misusing brother and sister in Christ, through promoting modern day slavery by purchasing goods and services associated with it. There is a lot of potential for conviction in the passage!

What does it mean about the world?
We are quick to try to gain advantage over one another. Too often we try to assure our own position by sacrificing others. While the end result was Abram's safety and wealth I don't think it was worth the pain and suffering Sarai went through, not to mention the strain that would have put on her marriage. I guess I understand a little bit better why she has issues later!

No comments:

Post a Comment