Monday, October 6, 2014

IF:Equip day 16

If:Equip Genesis 11:1-9


IF I believe this is true then:

What does it mean about God?
God had a plan for the people. God wanted them to spread out and fill the earth. But they wanted to join together and become like God, even going so far as to build a tower that they might get to God. This was not the way God desired relationship with humanity and so God confused their language and drove them to separate. Again, this is a moment showing God's grace. The way that humanity sought relationship with God was wrong. It was based on a desire of becoming equal to God, on the same level as God. God loved humanity too much to allow them to continue in this state of incorrect relationship and so provided a way for them to have to begin again.

What does it mean about me?
Sometimes I see set backs or changes as evil things, put up to keep me from getting what I want. And I'm sure there are times when they are there to try to stop me from doing God's work, but other times they are there to protect me from an even bigger fall. When I find myself in these times of babel or confusion I need to take a moment to orient myself. Am I still heading in a direction pleasing to God or have I wondered off the path or made a turn that may lead down a path of destruction?

What does it mean about the world?
God cares for and is present in the world. There is no doubt about that. This was not an act of a God that wanted nothing to do with the world, it was the act of the creator trying once again to help the creation live into its design. I think God is continually rerouting us. Helping us become what we were designed to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment