Wednesday, October 22, 2014

IF:Equip Day 27

IF:Equip Genesis 19:1-22



Video Commentary by Melissa Greene & Angie Smith can be viewed here

IF I believe this to the true then:

What does it mean about God?
God has told Abraham that he will save the city if 10 righteous men can be found. In the scripture we find that "all of the men of the city, young and old" come to Lot's house for the men. Their sin is that they want to make these men like women, to be inhospitable to the strangers, to make them less than men, because obviously in this society being female was just about the worst thing you could be. But setting all of that mess aside:
God still saves Lot and his daughters. Even though Lot waits, even thought Lot is reluctant, God finally drags them out by the wrists and sends them on their way. God again is faithful to Abraham's family even going above and beyond the promise made.

What does it mean about me?
How do I refuse to practice hospitality? What do I think of as the worst a human can be, a racist, a pedophile, a murderer, a rapist, an abuser? When do I refuse to see the humanity and the image of God in others?
When do I refuse to go where God has told me to go? Do I want less for myself than God wants for me?
Should I have left certain calls sooner? God has dragged me out by the hand twice, maybe I should take head earlier!

What does it mean about the world?
We are content with where we are, at least somewhat, or we would make moves to change things. The people of Sodom were content in their life. Lot was content there or else he wouldn't have resisted leaving so much even when he was told repeatedly that destruction was at hand. When we know we must change or die we will sometimes make that change, but often we would rather live the life we like until death shows its hand.

No comments:

Post a Comment