Thursday, February 20, 2014

It's too early for this!


It really is too early for this to be happening. Boys and girls are suppose to think that the opposite sex has cooties until 5th or 6th grade, right?
My 9 year old daughter came to me in tears and explained to me that a boy had touched her inappropriately and he was threatening to do the same to every little girl in the neighborhood. My first reaction was to strangle the boy.
I didn't.
Instead, I thanked my daughter for telling me about this embarrassing and uncomfortable thing. I reassured that she had done nothing wrong. I held her close and affirmed once again that she had done the right thing.
Then I went out and calmly told the boy that touching anyone in an area covered by a swimsuit was inappropriate and not tolerated. "We respect one another's bodies," I said, "And we do not put our hands anywhere they are not invited to be. Do you understand me?"
I'm not sure that he did. I'm not sure he really listened.
But my daughter's and their friends heard me standing up for them. They heard me say that their bodies were their business and no one had any right to touch them. Maybe it will help them stand up for themselves and one another. Maybe it will make him think twice. I pray that it does.
I pray that they all learned something through this conversation. I pray that I'll have a better idea of what to say/do if I ever encounter this with one of my kids again.
(And I pray for that little boy, cause when my husband gets home I'll have to do more than "calm him down.")

No comments:

Post a Comment