Monday, February 17, 2014

Monday Monday, it was all I hoped it would be!

At least I'm trying to reassure myself with those words from the Mamas and the Papas!

I lead Bible study this morning with a small but great group of women in my congregation. We were missing one because her son was in a bad car accident yesterday and she was dealing with the insurance aftermath today. (He's banged up, but fine, still praying for the others in the other vehicle.)  We shared about our lives, our struggles and our desires to draw closer to God. The subject of this particular study is evangelism and the women continually talk about how intimidating the idea of evangelism is to them. But then you talk about how they are relating to others, sharing their stories with those in need, giving to the poor and they don't see that as evangelism, that's missions or outreach or even just good manners. When did spreading the gospel (the definition I tend to think of for evangelism) become all about getting people to pray a "magic saving prayer" or realize their depraved nature and desperate need for salvation? Sharing Christ is important but its not a 5 step sure fire process. Its about building relationships and sharing where we've come from and what, with God's help we are trying to grow to.

I guess I will always love the T.D. Niles quote "Evangelism is just one beggar telling another beggar where to get bread."

No comments:

Post a Comment