Tuesday, September 30, 2014

IF:Equip Day 12

IF:Equip Genesis 7


Video Commentary can be found here

If I believe this is true then:

What does it mean about God?
God was pretty serious about a fresh start! Whether or not you attribute the flood to localized flooding or worldwide flooding, there is much evidence that some type of flood occurred and many traditions have passed down similar stories. God is seen to have acted to punish and to redeem. I think the whole thing was an opportunity of redemption. God could not stand to see humanity so far distant, so far removed from God and acted in a way that would draw humanity closer. And not just humanity, but the whole of the created order.

What does it mean about me?
I need to pay attention when God speaks. I wonder if there were others God offered this same chance to, but they didn't listen and so we don't have their stories. God offers us chances of redemption, of renewal. We just need to open our eyes and hearts to their presence.

What does it mean about the world?
We have a responsibility to be caretakers for this world and we don't always do a good job of it. I think it shows the value God places on all lives, not just those with a voice to speak up. Although I have a hard time imagining this story without seeing the far side cartoon about the dinosaurs in my head!

No comments:

Post a Comment