Tuesday, September 23, 2014

IF: Equip day 7 Genesis 3:1-13

IF:Equip Day 7

Video Commentary can be found here

If I believe this is true then:

What does it mean about God?
God offered an opportunity for faithfulness, knowing that it wouldn't pan out. I wonder why the tree of the knowledge of good and evil had to exist in the first place? Why did we have to have the opportunity to sin? But without that chance I suppose there is no free will and free will is something I value. God made the serpent, and it talks. How interesting! God is surely a creative creator!  In all seriousness I also wonder why make the serpent? (This from someone who has no love for snakes of any kind)

What does it mean about me?
This scripture has been used frequently to say that sin is all a woman's fault. This scripture just doesn't bear that out. The man was "with her" she didn't hunt him down and force him to eat the fruit. Once he saw that she ate it and lived he realized it was good for food and ate as well. I have often told others that if Adam had been doing his job there wouldn't have been a snake in the garden. But really they both equally fall from God's expectations. So this passage shouldn't be used as fuel for male or female bashing.

What does it mean about the world?
Sin falls on both of them, and it is the sin of wanting to be God themselves. I think that many of us still suffer from this particular sin. The desire to be the one who judges right from wrong and specifically judges others and their right/wrong behaviors.

No comments:

Post a Comment