Thursday, September 18, 2014

IF: Equip Genesis 2:1-3

Day Four
IF: Equip Genesis 2:1-3


Read Genesis 2:1-3 found here and/or watch video commentary here

IF you believe this is true then:

What does it mean about God?
God took time to rest, that's a big thing. God felt the need to be still, to exist without "work" being the focus. Sabbath became a part of the way people worship God because if God needed rest, who where humans beings to claim they didn't need it?

What does it mean about you?
I am in the midst of planning a Sabbath Retreat for ministers in my presbytery based on these verses. For me there is the reminder that the time to rest is "holy" time, sacred time. Ministry is hard and too often we do not take the time to care for ourselves, to rest, to renew. I have a sabbatical in my contract for my 5th year, but that is far from common in the Cumberland Presbyterian church. I want to be aware of my own health and spiritual health so that I don't go crazy before that Sabbatical time comes round.

What does it mean about the world?
We live in a fast passed crazy busy society here in the USA. We tend to put off rest because to rest is seen as lazy. We need the time away from work, away from being "productive" a time to simply be, and to realize that we are enough in and of ourselves. There is a natural rhythm to life and it involves times of business and times of rest. Even fields need to rest after growing crops! If the dirt needs to take a breather, surely the rest of us do as well!

No comments:

Post a Comment