Friday, May 15, 2015

Friday Five: Hospitals

Today's Friday Five comes from janintx:
hospital
Hospitals are very much on my mind, because my husband Chuck is having his second knee replacement on Monday. We will be there very early in the morning because he is the first surgery of the day at 7 am.So consider your experiences in the hospital in your various capacities: being a patient; parent, child or spouse of a patient; chaplain; minister; or visitor. In what ways have you experienced your times in hospitals? Think of 5 ways and share your blog address in the comments section when you play.


My Godmother died from Melanoma in 1995, my cousin died from AIDS in that same year, my grandmother passed away in 1998 all at Covenant Medical Center. I spent many hours with all of them through their illnesses and deaths. My Sophomore year of college  I spent several hours there every day for 30 days with my grandmother while she was in ICU praying over her and loving on her. It was one of the things that confirmed my call into ministry.


My senior year of college I did a practicum at University medical Center in Lubbock, TX. While I knew I was called to ministry, this experience helped me to see that pastoral ministry was really more of my calling. I did not do well with people coming and going, I had a hard time "cold calling" and I just really didn't like chaplaincy!

Our oldest child was born at Baptist Women's Center in Memphis, TN. The nurse I had that first night was less than helpful and I hemorrhaged for quite a while before she would call the doctor on call to help. Not the best experience. But I have a beautiful 10 year old who has survived despite the rough start.


Our middle child was born at Parkwest Hospital in Knoxville, TN. We had just been let go from our co-pastorate and were unsure of where we would live or where she would come home to with us. I actually had to have a meeting with CPS because according to the registration information I provided I was an abused woman. The church had been that terrible to me, my husband and our unborn 2nd child. I think I was the first person they had dealt with that had suffered organizational abuse as they called it. Then we had to find a doctor for our girls. Nothing like interviewing pediatricians and telling them we may be your patient for a while or we may be here a week. 
The most stressful time of my life!!


Our son was born at Middle Tennessee Medical Center 7 and 1/2 weeks early. He stayed in the NICU for 2 and 1/2 weeks. 
The nurses were amazing! The doctors were wonderful. I spent a lot of time walking the NICU floor praying for the other babies and their parents and for the staff. While it was a stressful time I also saw many blessings and miracles during the time spent with my son.

All in all hospitals are not my favorite place to be, but I am blessed to be able to walk with others through their times of need at various hospitals. 




No comments:

Post a Comment