Monday, March 17, 2014

IF: Equip Day 25

IF: EQUIP Day 25
Read John 11:1-54

This happens to be in my top two or three passages of all time and I have a hard time limiting my thought process to the one given in IF:EQUIP, but I will try.

If you believe this is true then:
  • What does it mean about God?
That God is the ruler of heaven and earth! That God's timing is perfect even when it's not! God is in the resurrection business, which is even greater than restoration business. God deeply cares for us in a way that is above and beyond empathy or sympathy.
  • What does it mean about you?
How often do I find myself yelling at God "Why weren't you here! If you had been here this wouldn't have happened."? But I tend to leave off the following words, that even now I know that whatever is needed you will do. My confession of doubt is often stronger than my confession of faith.
  • What does it mean about the world?
God does not operate by our rules. The unreliable narrators in this passage say that Jesus cries out of love and sympathy, but I think he's crying for an unbelieving age. I think they are tears of anger. The cross of Calvary looms large and Jesus is not looking forward to dancing towards it! This act of mercy, the returning of Lazarus, will bring him closer and make his time more precious.

I pray for a faith like Martha's that even in the darkest of times trusts in the light of the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment