Sunday, February 8, 2015

Friday Five

Today's Friday Five is brought to us by 3dogmom

"In my family, February holds the most birthdays across the generations: my father, my grandmother, my brother and my son were all born this month. Throw in the presidents (and other friends) for good measure and there’s lots of celebrating going on! That got me thinking about birthday customs and traditions, and I’d love to hear about yours."

My birthday was the first of February, the big 36 this year! I don't like to celebrate my birthday, I just really dislike being the center of attention. Even as a kid I would cry when it was time to open gifts because I knew all eyes would be on me. So this particular Friday Five might be a bit difficult for me!


For today’s FF share with us:

1) Are you a cake or pie person? What type do you savor on your big day?

I like cake, but I LOVE cheesecake! That is my favorite birthday treat. (Although the cake my girls 10 & 6 made this year was very special too!)


2) Growing up, did you have a favorite “birthday meal?” How about now?

There was a fast food place in my hometown called Taco Villa. I loved getting to go there and enjoy my favorite Tex-Mex goodies. In fact I loved it so much that with all three pregnancies I craved their red sauce and my mom shipped it via UPS so that I could enjoy it!


Now I just like whatever I don't have to cook or clean up!

3) What birthday traditions or rituals from younger days have followed you into adulthood?

I always talk to my Mom and Dad on my birthday and thank them for putting up with me for however many years its been. That didn't start until I was a teenager, but its the only ritual I still do.

 

4) What’s the most memorable gift or celebration you ever received for your birthday?

I have a brother who's birthday is two years and 4 days after mine. We had a lot of shared birthday celebrations growing up. When I turned 16 I had my own special separate celebration. Mom took me and four friends to Dallas for the weekend to go shopping and ice skating and just to hang out. I got a pair of Doc Marten boots that I wore until I was 30!


5) How do you like to celebrate others on their day?

I like to do things for them that make memories or reflect memories. I love making photo books of the year for my kids and parents so that we have a tangible way to see what all we've done in the past year. I also like to give friends little baskets of some of their favorite little goodies, like a certain kind of hand sanitizer or lip balm or candy that I know they enjoy, just to make them smile.


If you play the Friday Five on your blog, please share the link in the comments so we can read your responses and show some nonbirthday love! Unless, of course, it IS your birthday today, in which case we want to make a fuss.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment